Nic Strange – Head Coach
Our Vision is for every student to achieve their maximum sporting and academic potential.
An Introduction to Performance
The University of Warwick has a thriving community of elite, developing, and social badminton players.
Here, we believe that achieving academic excellence and being a performance athlete can go hand in hand, and therefore we have developed a program which allows you to excel at both.
The badminton club has been awarded ‘Team Warwick Performance’ (TWP) platinum status, giving the club the following perks:
- Full time coach delivering the performance program
- Individualised and personalised 1-1 sessions with the head coach
- Daily performance group sessions
- Tactical match play sessions
- Technical and multi feed sessions
- Weekly match play sessions
- Individual Strength and Conditioning program
- Badminton specific testing developed by the head coach and S&C coach
- Physiotherapy Support
- Nutritional Support
- Sports Psychology Support
- Mentorship Program
Alongside being part of TWP, athletes are invited to apply for our badminton specific Warwick Sport Scholarship.
- 7 BUCs teams – 4 Mens and 3 Womens
- BUCs Individual Nationals
- Inter University Friendly Matches
With Warwick being so centralised in the UK there are great opportunities to play competitive tournaments without travelling too far.
- Badminton England Senior Gold
- Badminton England Senior Silver
- Badminton England Senior Bronze
- All England – 30 min from Warwick
- International Events – Scottish/Welsh Open
Development of the Program
Our lead coach Nic Strange has had personal experience of competing at international level alongside undertaking his University studies, and understands the demands of each.
While training full time being a professional athlete, Nic was also completing his MSc in Sport Coaching and UKCC Level 3. He was able to qualify for the Commonwealth Games in 2014. At this time Nic was leading the badminton program at the University where he was studying, and at the same time was also the Welsh Junior National Coach.
Nic’s experiences have allowed the University of Warwick to develop a program which takes into account both the academic and sporting pursuits of student athletes and approaches their development in a personalised and unique way.