For every student to achieve their potential academically and sporting
An Introduction to Performance
The University of Warwick has a thriving badminton community consisting of elite, development and social players.
At Warwick we understand that achieving academic excellence and being a performance athlete can go hand in hand and therefore we have developed a program which allows you the flexibility to excel at both.
The badminton club has been award ‘Team Warwick Performance’ platinum status which gives the club access to:
- Full time coach delivering the performance program
- Individualised and personalised 1-1 sessions with the head coach
- Daily performance group sessions
- Tactical match play sessions
- Technical and multi feed sessions
- Weekly match play sessions
- Individual Strength and Conditioning program with integrated on court
- Badminton specific testing developed by the head coach and S&C coach
- Physiotherapy Support
- Nutritional Support
- Sports Psychology Support
- Mentorship Program
With Warwick being so centralised in the UK there are great opportunities to play competitive tournaments without travelling too far.
- Badminton England Senior Gold
- Badminton England Senior Silver
- Badminton England Senior Bronze
- All England – 30 min from Warwick
- International Events – Scottish/Welsh Open
Development of the Program
Lead coach Nic Strange has personal experience of competing at international level alongside undertaking his University studies and understand the demands of each.
While training full time being a professional athlete alongside completing his MSc in Sport Coaching and UKCC Level 3 Nic was able to qualify for the Commonwealth Games in 2014. At this time Nic was leading the badminton program at the University where he was studying alongside being Welsh Junior National Coach.
Nics experiences have allowed the University of Warwick to develop a program which understand the student athletes needs both academic and sporting approaching their development in a personalised and unique way.
The badminton program will develop further in 2019 with the completion of the new 16 court hall Sport Hub. The new £49 million facility will provide one of the best badminton venues in the UK with sprung floor and show court seating. On site there will be bespoke strength and conditioning areas, physiotherapy centre and 25m pool.